Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Brown sugar whole wheat shortbread, Mmmm

You can't tell from this photo, but these were surprisingly tasty
little morsels. This was the first time I ever tried my hand at
shortbread and I have to say I was pleasantly surprised. Then again,
with all that butter and brown sugar how could it be bad?

Anyhow, Joel was supposed to bring in treats for his weekly staff
meeting today and I was out of eggs, flour, and sugar. A quick online
search for the ingrediants I did have on hand (namely brown sugar and
whole wheat pastry flour) turned up a few recipes for shortbread, so I
gave it a whirl...

Brown Sugar Whole Wheat Shortbread

1 cup light brown sugar (the recipe called for dark brown)
1 cup regular salted butter, softened (I think next time I would use 3/4 cup)
1 tsp vanilla
2 1/4 cups whole wheat pastry flour

Preheat oven to 325 degrees.

1) Cream brown sugar, butter, and vanilla together until light and fluffy

2) Add in flour in two parts. Mix on low until very well combined.
(It's not like regular cookies where you barely mix the dough, you
really want to make sure the butter is worked into the flour, or,
supposedly, your bars will be super-crumbly.)

3) Scrape the mixture into a buttered cookie sheet (mixture will be
crumbly, but not dry.) Press evenly into pan. Lightly score bars where
you would like to cut them, and then prick all over with a fork.

4) Bake for about 25 (to 30 minutes?), until top is puffy and firm.
Cool pan on a rack for several hours (or overnight), then cut.

No comments: