Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Baked Brie

I made this as an appetizer on the Superbowl and forgot to take a picture! I'll add one next time we make it. I used vegan Brie from our favorite vegan restaurant, Fairgrounds, but real Brie would be just as delicious.

1 pkg puff pastry shells*
1 container vegan Brie (approx. 8oz)
your favorite jam (I used raspberry)
maple syrup
brown sugar
fresh baked french bread (or your favorite)

1. Bake pastry shells for 1/2 the instructed time.
2. Remove shells from oven, pop open "tops" (be careful, they're hot!), spoon in Brie & then jam, filling to the top.
3. Replace "tops" - you can press down lightly, but if they aren't totally closed it's OK.
4. Generously drizzle maple syrup over shells, sprinkle with brown sugar, and return to oven to finish baking.
5. Allow to cool a few minutes before serving.
6. Serve with yummy bread.

*Most recipes I found called for using pastry sheets rather than shells, and then you would just wrap the entire Brie wheel in the dough, for 1 large baked Brie. I actually really liked the smaller, slightly-larger-than-bitesized-baked-Brie, because they were easy to serve and fun to eat!

Brad and I are hoping to make our own puff pastry dough next time - we'll keep you posted :) --no pun intended!

No comments: