Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Gluten-Free Ginger Bread (no really, it's bread)

In an attempt to stop making my stomach angry, I thought I might try baking some gluten free bread to kick the year off.  Joel's been bugging me to make gingerbread (cakelike, not cookie style), so I found this almond flour based recipe online and tweaked it a bit.  It ended up more like a gingery bread, than gingerbread cake.  But it was tasty as toast this morning with some honey on top.  Perhaps if I had followed the recipe straight it would have been sweeter, but I wanted the molasses taste.  Maybe next time I'll try it with some honey butter on top or add some dark chocolate chips.


Spiced Ginger Bread (makes 2 mini loafs or 1 regular loaf)

2 1/2 cups almond flour
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
1 1/2 tsp ground allspice
4 tsp ground ginger
3 eggs
1/3 cup honey
1/4 cup molasses
1/2 cup melted butter (or oil of choice, I used 6 T butter and 2 T canola oil)

Preheat oven to 350F. Combine dry ingredients in a bowl. Combine wet ingredients in a seperate bowl. Using a whisk or spatula mix wet and dry ingredients until combined. Pour into greased pan(s). Bake about 45 minutes for a regular loaf pan, shorter if using mini ones.  I put aluminum foil on top after about 30 minutes. Remove from oven when a knife inserted comes out dry. Allow to cool a bit before.

No comments: