Wednesday, October 30, 2013

E's Famous Banana Chip Muffins


A friend of mine just asked if I had a banana muffin recipe I like, so I typed up my famous recipe an sent it her way.  I figured I'd post it here as well, for our records :-)

NOTE: B/S - These are the ones Mom made when she stayed with you a while back.  I think she said you like them and at one point I think B had asked me for the recipe, but I forgot to send it.  

Preheat oven to 375 degrees

Combine thoroughly: 
1 and 1/2 cups flour
1/2 cup wheat bran
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 heaping teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt

Stir in: 
2/3 cup dark chocolate chips and/or chopped nuts 

In a separate bowl, whisk together: 
2 cups mashed banana (about 3-4 bananas)
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 large egg
4 Tablespoons canola oil (or other oil)
1 teaspoon vanilla

Gently fold the flour mixture into the wet ingredients until the dry ingredients are just moistening. You don't want it to be smooth, just barely combined (resist the temptation to stir with vigor!).  Divide batter into muffin tins, I find it usually makes 12 regular size muffins and 12 mini muffins.  

Bake until a toothpick inserted comes out clean, about 11 minutes for mini muffins and 15-18 for full size muffins. Let cool for 2-3 minutes in the pan before removing. Let cool on rack.  

*If you're baking them to have leftovers, you might want to add an extra tablespoon of oil so they don't dry out. 

No comments: